So I've been wrestling with a question this week--potentially a very shallow question that completely displays my insecurities--that I'd love to get ya'll's feedback on. While I could probably talk about it in a much more straight-forward way, I am going to try not to completely give myself away and talk about it in code. So here goes.
How the heck is a girl supposed to compete with the next best thing since sliced bread? Especially when the next best thing since sliced bread seems to be freaking awesome in every possible way! I mean, it obviously wont do to try to replicate the next best thing since sliced bread, because clearly there is only ONE next best thing since sliced bread, and if you are not it, then you are just not it right? Perhaps you are sliced bread. And if so, you were quite obviously made to be the piece of bread that you are, so I would think it to be a great waste of time (and of bread) to try to be something you're not. And yet, though sliced bread is good, hence the saying, it still doesn't seem--at least from your angle-- like it's AS good as that next "best thing."
I'm thinking that one of the answers to this question is that you just dont. You don't compete. You don't compare. And you be the best damn piece of bread you can be. And you thank the One who created and molded and baked you for doing all of that the way He did.
Another of my questions would be how do you deal when someone who you think you want to pick you picks the next best thing since sliced bread instead? Is it that not only were YOU not the bread for them, but THEY weren't the one you want buying your bread anyway? Or do we just tell ourselves that to feel better? What is the truth in the midst of that? Is the next best thing since sliced bread really as good and awesome as it looks? It seems so, but does it really matter and is it even worth spending the time to try to answer that question? It may just be me, but sometimes it's hard to not keep glancing over at the next best thing and be jealous, but instead be thankful and trusting.
Or is this whole "next best thing since sliced bread" thing just an illusion? Aren't we all pieces of bread in the same loaf--some of us maybe resembling the end pieces and some the pieces more towards the middle? Ok, enough of the bread analogy, I know...
I suppose in reality, my time shouldn't be spent focusing all that much on the bread anyway--or even the next best thing since sliced bread, but rather the Maker of it all. Because not only did He Make my bread, but He bought it. And He bought it in such a way, and at such a price, that whether I'm the end piece or the middle piece, or whether I measure up to the next best thing or not, I am His and my purpose and priviledge and preoccupation is to give Him glory, not seek it, or whatever else for that matter, for myself. Mind you, He delights to let me be a unique piece of bread, but ultimately it is about Him and not me. And wow, HE bought ME...can I not be completely satisfied with that in the present even if no one else ever comes along to take me off the shelf? In light of who HE is, I suppose it really just shouldn't even matter.
Ok...does ANY of that make sense? I promise my intention was not to take the bread analogy quite so far, but I actually think it helped me process what I was really after in a round about sort of way. Thoughts?
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
yeah, I'm not a fan of stale bread and I think that's what you've been thinking you need. I mean, it's good for some...ducks really enjoy it and I think we used it a time or two for science experiments...but let's not get stuck on what it used to be.
Mmm..a fresh baked loaf of bread. That sounds so comforting and tasty. I'm not sure what type is best; let the Lord decide that for you. He wants all the details of our life, He'll even plan out what type of bread ; )
love your thoughts...keep 'em coming.
Post a Comment